Clinical and Laboratory Internships
The Detroit Medical Center and surrounding metropolitan health care systems offer an exceptional foundation for clinical genetics training. The diverse population found in the greater Detroit area provides a unique opportunity to explore how ethnic and cultural differences influence the effectiveness of clinical genetic services and the genetic counseling process.
Students are active participants in a diversity of well established medical genetic and multidisciplinary clinics, training under experienced clinicians who are leaders in their fields. Students also gain hands-on clinical genetics laboratory experience in the molecular, biochemical and cytogenetics laboratories.
Students begin their clinical internships in their first semester and continue throughout their training. The clinic and laboratory experiences are strategically planned to complement the concurrent classroom experience and enhance learning.
The experiences include:
- Corewell Health East-Dearborn (Beaumont Hospital-Dearborn) - Dearborn, MI
- Corewell Health East-Royal Oak (Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak) Cancer Genetics - Royal Oak, MI
- Corewell Health East-Royal Oak (Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak) Reproductive Genetics - Royal Oak, MI
- Cancer Genetic Counseling Services - Karmanos Cancer Institute - Detroit, MI
- Division of Genetics and Metabolic Disorders - Children's Hospital of Michigan - Detroit, MI
- Henry Ford Hospital - Detroit, MI
Trinity Health Oakland Cancer and Reproductive Genetics - Pontiac, MI
- Windsor Regional Hospital-Erie St. Clair Regional Cancer Program - Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Genetic Counseling Graduate Program
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics
Wayne State University School of Medicine
2375 Scott Hall
540 E. Canfield Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Fax: (313) 577-9137