Formal Clinical Internships (Summer, Fall and Winter, Year 2)
The purpose of the internship during the second year is for students to function, with supervision, as the primary genetic counselor in a variety of clinical settings. During this second year internship, students will acquire cases for their logbooks for program accreditation purposes.
Students will be required to complete 4 seven-week rotations.
Our program offers several options for pediatric, adult, reproductive and hereditary cancer clinics. Furthermore, students rotate through the Metabolic Clinic at Children's Hospital of Michigan which provides the follow-up for all positive newborn screens within the State of Michigan.
With the permission of the program directors, students may choose to do one or two rotations as an elected away rotation the summer between their first and second years.
Clinical Training Sites
- Beaumont Children's Hospital - Royal Oak, MI
- Beaumont Hospital-Dearborn - Dearborn, MI
- Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak Cancer Genetics - Royal Oak, MI
- Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak Reproductive Genetics - Royal Oak, MI
- Cancer Genetic Counseling Services - Karmanos Cancer Institute - Detroit, MI
- Division of Genetics and Metabolic Disorders - Children's Hospital of Michigan - Detroit, MI
- Henry Ford Hospital - Detroit, MI
- Windsor Regional Hospital-Erie St. Clair Regional Cancer Program - Windsor, CA
Genetic Counseling Graduate Program
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics
Wayne State University School of Medicine
2375 Scott Hall
540 E. Canfield Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Fax: (313) 577-9137